The last week


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Most times I get overwhelmed with the array of topics which I want to blog about, without making it a reality. Sustainability becomes the key here in these issues. Regardless of process that you are involved in, sustainability sometimes becomes ‘the’ most important factor.

This as I announced in my blog before, is the last teaching week rather the non-teaching week, since it is filled with presentations of our work and understandability out of the subjects. So I thought I would compress the 14 weeks semester outcomes into one post giving the priority to the top course that I loved to be a part off.

Will start with my favorite subject Organizational Analysis and Design. Even though the subject outline was inclined towards restructuring and the modern approaches of management, my lecturer gave us the ice in the cake by taking us also on a vivid journey into post-modern approaches. The teaching methodology was inclined towards segmentation of organizations into four crucial frames, structure-culture-power-human resource and analyzing & evaluating the need for changes within them. It was believed that the frames have an inter-linkage between them; by that a ‘need-for-change’ in a particular frame may be also beneficial for another frame of the organization, which is evident.

As I had written before there is a difference between ‘book-lecturer’ and ‘out-of-book-lecturer’. We were fortunate enough to have the head of my business school as the lecturer; easily the best in the business inside the business school. ‘EPOCH’ model was the prime base of his discussion, with adoptive strategies into the post-modern era mechanisms. ‘EPOCH’ is times where in things are not as they were before and will not be in the future.

He ventured into unknown or tentative social concepts like identity, social engineering, empowerment, leadership, authority, power with individuals within organizations, etc to name. Some of the ideologies which made me to go gaga over where the ones related to Power frame. Discussions like “Whether Leadership is dead?” made lot of meaning to me now. He made Mintzberg models ‘ethnic-pedestal’; Foucault ‘divine’ and Clegg ‘sovereign’.

But my personal view of being the “Master of Jack-of-All” hasn’t still changed considering the management methodologies is typically disposed into specialization or the need-for-specialization.

Easily the best concepts I have been grounded with as I am starting the journey into lunacy. When I spoke to a close friend of mine, he mentioned “Anyways MBA’s don’t have a life”. My take-back from the first semester has been nothing horrendous, so far. May be a by-product of studying at ‘the’ cream business school in India!