Goals!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



There seems to be a big hue & cry about the December. Bloggers from all over the world seem to have their eye set on targets. The most common buzz seems to be the New year resolutions. Time to analysis the year gone by and then rectify it for the year ahead. I don’t know what to say about my own. As a sportsman I always had goals. In fact the first time I learned the importance of setting one was when I attended a Frank Tyson coaching camp. He was one of the fastest bowlers to have walked the grounds. The realization came very late to me though it wasn’t too late I would say. But there is problem about goals. Most people who set goals forget the basic point. To get to this we need to look at the goals from the grass route level. What are goals? They help us make routes which guide us to our destination. Say for instance I want to reach Sydney. First of all I have two options, air & water. And then I decide on taking up air since it saves time & cost comparatively to water. Then further more in that itself I have so many options. I can fly straight from Bombay to Sydney or can take a fly to Singapore & hence to Sydney, or to Malaysia & Sydney, or to Thailand & Sydney, or to Colombo & Sydney. Possibly even in these I may have myriad airlines which can take me through. But what do I know that I will have to reach Sydney & that’s my goal. So I take up some route which is very comfortable to me. But the point is people tend to think too much about the main goal that they seem to miss the small things such as routes. The routes you take are also very important to an individual since it helps you to reach your destination in a better way. So if we emphasis on the routes then it would be easy for us to reach our destination without getting lost whereas if we the other way around there is a possibility that we may get lost over the small things which will make us land in a big soup.More importantly goals have to be realistic. For example I can have a goal of trying to score maximum of seven hundreds in a first division season, that’s all. But if I think I will have to get hundreds in every single innings I bat it sounds a little insane and absurd, since I know what’s my capability. Moreover there is a law of averages which rules everything. Secondly goals have to be simple and performance oriented. Taking another example I can set goals like I want score this many runs and not I want to get selected for India, since the selection to any team is not certainly in our hands, only performance is. But plainly setting goals are very important. So go ahead and chalk them out. It maybe even be the simplest of things like I want to start wishing elders on road when I walk in the morning, but make sure that you do that. Some of my resolutions or goals as I may call it for this year are as follows:
  1. Start doing sandyavandanam-sandi they call it in short.

  2. Start training and reduce lots of weight. I have been putting on too much weight since I stopped playing professionally six months ago.

  3. Finish both semesters at my business school with good grades.

  4. Make as many friends as possible, start a big networking group.

  5. Play cricket as seriously as possible.

  6. Learn to sing better & play a carnatic instrument; maybe start reviving the mridangam classes.

  7. Buy myself a digi-cam and learn the art of photography better, maybe try to master it to an extent.

  8. Learn a software package in accounting which will help me to develop my own software for accounting queries and helps.

  9. Take life to be simple & don’t expect it to be fair!!!

  10. May be find or identify Maya in my life.